Sermon on Jonah
Sermon from Sunday, September 6, 2020
Call to Worship: Proverbs 16 on being at peace with one another.
Music: Oceans by Bri Babineaux https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Jff1fWJO0
Sermon: Teaching on Jonah by Eric and Kelly Frey Martin.
- The link leads to the sermon Powerpoint, which has the slides in Spanish and English. Sermon para Berna
- Bible Project teaching on the book of Jonah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLIabZc0O4c
- Further reflections discussed during the sermon:
- Jonah is a story about missing the point about why we follow God.
- God’s questions to Jonah are questions to the reader.
- Micah 6:8 says, “No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.” When we follow the temptations discussed in the Powerpoint and warned of in the story of Jonah, we trade in vengeance for doing what is right, we trade oppression for mercy, and we trade walking proudly for walking humbly with God.
- What is the point of following God?
- What can we learn from the writer of the book of Jonah?